Friday, October 12, 2012

"See You Later"

Dear ___,

We've only been friends for about a month, and already I can't fully articulate all the ways God has blessed me through you, or the way you have impacted my heart.  But I wanted to say thank you for having an open heart, for being obedient to our Savior, for letting His light shine through you, for being His hands and feet.

And pretty soon, you're leaving, and I'd be completely sad about it if I wasn't happy that you'll be getting some amazing experiences.  I'm going to miss you a TON (so please come back and visit me once in awhile).

You are someone I was excited to meet even before I heard your name.  See, when I started grad school, I knew God was going to bring people into my life who would leave a lasting impression on my heart, people who would show me more of His character, people whom I could not imagine life without--and I was absolutely beyond excited to find out who they were.  You, my friend, are one of those people.  I am so blessed to call you friend.

A long time ago, when I was incredibly shy and slow to let people into my life, my youth pastor taught me something:  I could choose to let others into my life, love them, build amazing relationships with incredible people, and grow--and sign up for a heart-wrenching "goodbye"; or I could choose to forego all of it to "protect" myself from such a sting.

For the most part, I've continually chosen the former, which means I've had to part ways with many people I love dearly, not knowing the next time our paths would cross... but I'm still terrible at goodbyes, and I still really wish I never had to say them.  But praise God that I've learned that people are worth it... I am so very thankful that you are in my life!  What's more, praise God that in Him, "goodbyes" are really "see ya later"s!  

So to wrap it all up... GIRL I'M GONNA MISS YOU SO MUCH.  But I'm eternally grateful that God put you in my life, and I'm so glad that I know you.  You told me that your name means beautiful... and you are beautiful, inside and out.  I pray that you continue to pursue Jesus with everything you are, and I can't wait to see what huge things He does next in your life.  Thanks for sharing life with me... and seriously, let's make sure to visit each other every now and then.  Love you, sister.

God's abundant grace to you,

-Alyce
"So much more binds us together than keeps us apart... The number of days and weeks we are together isn't important; what really matters is the way God knits our hearts together during the time He chooses for us to be in one another's lives." - Katie Davis, Kisses from Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment