Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Extended Post-It

To my Second Years,

I meant to write this sooner--God knows that I wanted to say more than I could fit on a post-it or timely yearbook scribble--but tonight is when I actually got around to it, so here goes.

You might have noticed that I said, "my" Second Years.  And that's how I think of you.  Because sometime during the last 7 months of our lives, God has used each of you to make me into a better friend, a better clinician, and a better person.  Somewhere in there, there was at least one point where you said or did something that taught me a life lesson that is going to extend farther than a masters program.

You've taught me that a "B" can actually be amazing, that sometimes you just need to dance, that food sitting on the table is likely free, that if it's my 11th hour on campus I should probably just go home, and that a walk with a friend just might make my day, so don't pass it up.  You've taught me to be humble and ask for help when I need it, to breathe instead of break, that there are more people in my corner than I might think, and that sometimes the most unexpected people become people I couldn't imagine grad school--or life--without.

So from the bottom of my heart, thank you.  Thank you for all the little things--laughs, hugs, encouragement, patience, lessons, coffee, movies, cookies, cake, and other deliciously fattening things.  Those little things really turned out to be big things; I couldn't have made it this far without you!  Seriously, you were the best thing for this wide-eyed, clueless first-year... and now I've noted the huge shoes my class has to fill, come August.

Lastly.  Whenever y'all actually leave... you are gonna be aca-mazing with externships.  And life in general.  I know God has super cool stuff planned for all of you... can't wait to see what that is!
Keep me posted... I like texts, emails, and high-fives.

His blessings to all of you,

- Alyce

No comments:

Post a Comment