Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Practically Speaking...

In my last post, I talked about my New Year's Resolutions, which were:
  • To care about what Jesus thinks, not what others think
  • To spend more time with Jesus
  • To prioritize the things Jesus cares about, not what the world says I should care about
    • cf Proverbs 31, Micah 6:8, Matthew 6:33, etc....
  • To review/recall God's promises instead of dwelling on my fears
(You can click here to read the whole thing on how/why I arrived at my resolutions.)

Upon reflection, I thought--what does that look like in the everyday?

And then I recalled Proverbs 31:30, "Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."

Which basically means, It doesn't matter if others think you're great, or if you're drop-dead gorgeous; sister, it's your attitude towards God that matters.

[Flashback!]

Some months ago, I studied Proverbs 31, which has been the go-to passage for Christian women for a long, long time.  I went through the whole thing and wrote down all the characteristics that make a woman praiseworthy--in other words, traits that God values in a woman.  This was the result:


And there I had it--a very succinct, practical list of what God says is important.

Right off the bat, I thought, Whoa. This is so different than what the world tells me, so different from what we women tend to pursue. Yet, I'm not sure I know a woman who doesn't want to be strong, dignified, knowledgeable, discerning, unafraid, attentive, wise, kind... 

Then I looked at myself and went, Oooh boy. I've got a long way to go.

I understood, though, these traits don't happen overnight.  I know many godly women who exemplify many of these traits, and they'd be the first to tell you that these traits were built over time, with lots of effort and so much grace from God.  They'd also note that God is still working these traits into them.

[Back to the present!]

If I want to be a Proverbs 31 kind of woman, I have to get crackin'! 

To paraphrase the question I asked earlier--in practical terms, what does shaping my thoughts/actions by God's standards look like?

Personally, I'll start with verse 26.  I've realized in the last few weeks that I struggle really hard to speak with wisdom and kindness.  Lately, I've become more aware of when my comments have been immature, unnecessarily sarcastic, cutting, or downright mean.  (Ironic, a little bit, that my profession is all about language...)  My words need more wisdom, kindness, gentleness, humility, and love; and less selfishness, anger, pride, and foolishness.  It all boils down to my need for Jesus, my need for the Holy Spirit to restrain and guide me in my speech--and in every area.  By the grace of God, the words that come from my mouth will be mature, encouraging, and life-giving.

From there... well, we'll see.  I don't know what'll be next, but my Shepherd does; and that's enough for me!

- Alyce

No comments:

Post a Comment