Sunday, June 28, 2015

Only One Opinion Matters (and it's not mine)

Hi.

If you're reading this, you've probably also seen a lot of (heated) discussion on social media.  Me, too.  For every issue that's presented, I at least hold an opinion, if not a conviction.  (My guess is, you do, too.)  I appreciate seeing diverse viewpoints represented, but it saddens me to see so many "us vs. them" posts--from all sides.

I have a question.  When was the last time anyone successfully used social media to argue a point to where the other party eventually agreed with them?  As in, admitting wrong and embracing the opposite belief? ... I ask because I've never seen it done, so arguing online seems futile to me.

Remember when social networking sites started out as a way to connect people?  I have a crazy notion that we can go back to using social media as a means of connecting people, instead of causing or fueling division.  Most of my friends are responsible adults, who would encourage others to ask themselves:  Is what I'm about to post... true? kind? appropriate? something I would say in person? ... So how is it that we get passionate about our opinions and then throw those principles out the window?

I cannot claim immunity--I try hard, but I'm by no means perfect at this.  Thankfully, I have great friends who have kindly, privately, and personally called me out and given me the chance to take down thoughtless words without serious damage to my reputation.  In these processes, I have (1) appreciated the gracious way my friends handled my errors, (2) learned about myself and my words, and (3) grown to respect them even more.  As I reflect, I think, What if everyone did that?  What if, instead of debating and arguing online, where the whole world can see and tone is all but impossible to convey, we had face-to-face conversations, in private settings, using kind words?   I bet we could communicate much more effectively, and there would be way fewer relationships severed in the name of being "right."

Speaking of "being right"... I almost titled this post "My/Your Opinion Doesn't Matter," but I didn't because I'm neither of low self-esteem nor looking to start an argument.  (Also, it would be giving my opinion that our opinions don't matter--how contradictory, right?)  However, if you're still with me...

Per God's Word to us (that's the Bible)... What are we except fragile, finite, imperfect, sinful, created beings in a universe we have barely begun to understand?  And when compared to the all-knowing, all-powerful, always-present, infinite, perfect, Creator God... there is no comparison! 

So who am I--who is anyone--to tell God, "No, You're wrong, I disagree"?  God is always right--that's part of being God.  If God was wrong, then He wouldn't be God.  He is the One who defines what is right, what is wrong, what is good, and what is evil.  Therefore, in every issue that we raise, His opinion is the only one that matters.  By His nature, His opinions are definitions; they are the final Truth.  Even if it makes us uncomfortable, even if it doesn't make sense to us, He is right, good, and just.  Again, it's part of what makes Him God.  It's we who need to change our thinking, not Him.  People say others are on the "wrong side of history," forgetting that no matter how many people hold the same view, they are still wrong if God is not on that side.  Truthfully, whatever we say has no value in and of ourselves.  

But here's something amazing--He gives us value!  He made us in His image, which means we all reflect aspects of Who He is.  Our intellect, creativity, humor, reasoning, emotions, morals, everything that makes us human--are His gifts.  Despite our constant rejection of Him, despite our constant offenses against Him and each other (aka sin), He still loves us.  And about 2000 years ago, He sent His Son, Jesus, as a perfect sacrifice to die and rise again so that we could be forgiven and have abundant life!  (By the way, friend, that was when Love Actually Won.  This is the Gospel Truth!)

If this wonderful, amazing God has given us incomparable, undeserved value... who are we to bicker with, call names at, and cut down those who bear that same, priceless image of God?  When we do that, we are essentially pushing aside grace and perpetuating the lie that "Jesus' sacrifice was enough for everything except __."  

On the other hand, let's not mistake the Love of God for license to do whatever we want.  
God still sets the rules.  If anyone would say, "You can't judge me; only God can judge me," the statement is correct--but should only be said with reverence, holy fear, and an absolute certainty that they are not found lacking in His eyes. 

Now, it's okay to debate.  In fact, God said "let us reason together," and "the glory of kings is to search out a matter."  Truth stands regardless of what arguments are thrown at it, so let's have a healthy discussion and figure it out together.  Many of the "hot topic" issues in our world today are not directly addressed in the Bible, so I'm excited to get to Heaven and have our questions and debates put to rest once and for all.  And given our current, flawed existence, there will be plenty of areas in which God will correct all of us.

In the meantime, in light of Who God is and what He has done, our responsibility in responding to these issues would be to do what He asks--to "do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly," and to "be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave [us]."
That's what I try to do.  I hope you'll join me.


- Alyce

1 comment: