Sunday, August 16, 2015

Let the Children Come

"...Jesus called them to him, saying, 'Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God.'"  -- Luke 18:16
For most of my church's existence, the Kids Church has not had a worship team, but the teachers have led worship in song using worship tracks and a PowerPoint.  We praise the Lord that we have had such equipment; but as of the past few weeks, we have switched to a live worship team leading the kids in worshiping Jesus.  God has blessed us in growing our worship team so that we can have essentially 2 teams on a Sunday (one in "big church" and one for Kids Church), and it has been so fun to see how He is working!

You know how teachers are always saying, "I learn so much from my students"?  In serving on the Kids Church team, it's kind of been like that for me, and I wanted to write down some observations/reflections that I've taken from the experience.

1. Jesus loves the little children.  Maybe it sounds cliche or super obvious, but it's so true!  I'm naturally a "kid person," but I definitely am loving the kids more than I did before.  In leading Kids Church worship, I've been getting little glimpses of just how much Jesus loves them, and it's indescribable.  I highly recommend it.

2. Leading Kids Church worship is a whole different situation than leading "big church".  It is simultaneously modeling worship, teaching the truths of why we sing what we sing, and coaching (e.g. "let's think/sing about __").  And then there are the distractions--some kids are observing but not participating, others are talking to/bothering their neighbor, and still others are playing with toys and being generally disruptive.  Oh, and I almost forgot--the whole time, we're playing instruments and/or singing, too.

3. A Kids Church worship team is not the "Junior Varsity" team.  Let's squish that lie right now.  Sure, the mean age of the congregation is significantly smaller that that of "big church," we have a shorter set list, and the kids are usually sillier than the adults, but leading children in worship is a serious undertaking:
"Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea." -- Mark 9:42  (Jesus uses similar words in Matthew 18 and Luke 17)
Because Jesus is serious about the kids, we should be, too.  God forbid that we ever be anything less than genuine, Christ-centered worshipers--all the time, yes, but especially in this capacity!  So maybe a better analogy for leading Kids Church worship would be the Special Teams--where the team has to utilize certain people with skills specifically suited to the situation.  Like Jesus meets us where we are, we want to meet the kids where they are.  (Example:  even song selection is tricky, because we want songs that fit the trifecta of sound doctrine, kid-friendly music style, and simple words that are easy to understand and sing.)  

4. For our team specifically, our Sundays are like running a 400m race.  I use this comparison because we give 100%, an all-out sprint, throughout. the. entire. set... twice.  Minimal instrumental breaks, minimal silence, and mostly high-tempo, high-energy songs... It's a very practical application of "love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength."  It is physically and mentally draining, leading a room full of pre-K through 5th grade kids.  BUT.

5. I cannot begin to tell you... It is incomparably rewarding.  The girl who spouts out the memory verse unprompted.  The boy who closes his eyes and lifts his head to sing, even as 3 other kids around him are fidgeting.  The girl who raises her hands high before her teachers do.  The boy who redirects his distracted buddy and reminds him that we're singing to Jesus.  The little ones who sing and dance with unbridled joy.  The children--even if just a few--who are realizing the greatness and worthiness of our God.  The reality that they are experiencing the Holy Spirit.  And the fact that Jesus is winning their hearts early.  We get to be a part of that?!  Do we need any more reasons or motivation to do what we do?!
"Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it." -- Luke 18:17
To wrap this up:  I was really excited when I was first asked to serve in this way; it had been something for which I had been hoping for a while, and it was so cool to see it begin.  But now, as it has been happening, I am even more excited!  I may be exhausted, but my heart is so full.  I have seen my own weaknesses more clearly, felt my need for Jesus much more keenly, and craved the Holy Spirit more deeply.  I'm so looking forward to what God will do.  Here's to loving God and loving His children--especially the little ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment